- 3 medium yellow onions, unpeeled and halved
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms with stems intact, cleaned and halved
- 1 large leek, white and green parts, wash thoroughly
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 8 cups water
- 1 bouquet garni
- Place the onions, carrots, mushrooms, leek and garlic in a large stockpot.
- Add the water to the pot over low to medium heat.
- Add the bouquet garni, cover pot partially and slowly bring the liquid to a simmer, regularly skimming off the scum that rises to the surface until no more forms.
- Simmer for 1 to 1½ hours and then remove from heat. Let cool slightly.
- Place a Chinoise in clean large pot and pour the stock into the Chinoise. Discard the solids. Alternative: Line a strainer with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth and set it inside a large bowl, pour the stock into the strainer and discard the solids.
- Let the stock cool to room temperature completely before storing it in the refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 6 months.
Makes approx. 6 cups.
Bouquet Garni: A bouquet garni is the classic seasoning for stocks, soups, and stews. It includes the following Ingredients:
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 4 to 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 black peppercorns
Place all of the ingredients in a cheesecloth. Tie with kitchen string, leaving enough extra string to tie bouquet garni to the handle of the pot.