This is my favorite-est, all-time bestest, most delicious stuffing ever! 'Nuff said!
3 cups of water & 1 cup dried cranberries
4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 lb. bulk pork sausage (Optional. Can replace with mushrooms or French chestnuts)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1-lb. of our Rosemary-Olive Oil Sourdough Bread Stuffing
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 2 1/4 to 3-quart baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the water until steam starts to rise, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the dried cranberries. Set aside.
- In a large fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and carrot and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes then transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, sauté the sausage, stirring until crumbly, lightly browned and cooked through
- Transfer the sausage to the bowl with the vegetables.
- In a separate large bowl, stir the egg while slowly pouring in the water and cranberries. Add the bread stuffing and toss until well blended. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until the water is fully absorbed by the bread - approx. 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the vegetable-sausage mixture, thyme and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix to fully combine then transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until the stuffing is browned and crispy, 45 to 50 minutes.
Serves 10 to 12.